If you only have 24 hours in New Zealand because you’re stopping over, here’s a list of what I recommend.
- Wake up
- Go to Hobbiton
- Go get dinner
Just kidding, but only kind of. There are some great tour companies that will pick you up at your hotel or somewhere close to your AirBnB and take you out to the Shire, otherwise known as the Hobbiton Tours. The tour that I did picked me up around 6AM and brought me back to the city around 4PM. This tour also included a nice little pit stop at a cafe half way through the journey where you can pick up breakfast and some coffee.
If you plan on doing more than just the Lord of the Rings tour, then here are a few things that I recommend:
- Get breakfast around where you are staying.
- Take a trip to downtown Auckland and check out what downtown has to offer
- Try out the Sky Tower. You’ll be able to get a 360 degree view of the entire city all the way out to the water along the east coast of the city. If you’re feeling extremely adventurous, you can actually bungee jump off the Sky Tower or walk along the edge of the tower. Keep an eye out for the pink road which is highlighter pink and is technically a bike path. Also, if you’re afraid of heights, stay closer to the center of the tower because they have glass floors which can be a little terrifying
- Check out the harbor. You can see some of the boats that have come in and see the beautiful water.
- After you’re done seeing what downtown has to offer, I highly recommend heading up to Ponsonby for dinner. Ponsonby is a little bit of a hipster neighborhood but a great little pocket of the city with a bunch of personality. You can wander the streets and check out the little shops that are along the main road in Ponsonby or check out some of the food. There’s a food truck food court that changes the main food truck every few days. There’s also a little market you can check out with some delicious food places. You may remember that I mentioned a place called The Melt Bar. That is located at this market. Burger Burger is also located here.
- Once you’re done with dinner, check out the remainder of the neighborhood and you can see the tower from the hills. There are also some great restaurants and bars in Ponsonby that you can check out for your evening nightcap.
If you have more time, I would recommend checking out stuff right outside of the city. There are volcanoes and wineries that I’ve heard great things about. Plus the Waitomo glow worm caves are very close to the city to check out if you have more time.
Do you have anything else you would add to this list?